Cinnamony, sweet slices of Gluten-Free Pumpkin French Toast make the most delicious fall weekend brunch that is also paleo and dairy free!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin French Toast
Pumpkin season wouldn’t be complete if we didn’t make a pumpkin spice version of just about everything, right? Don’t worry though, you’re in good hands with me. As someone who wouldn’t be caught dead with a PSL it takes a lot for me to approve of a pumpkin recipe, so if you see me post one you can know it’s something that actually works and not just another needless pumpkin explosion.
Today we’re kicking things up a notch with some Pumpkin French Toast, which is actually a very pleasant upgrade to French Toast. Pumpkin puree mixed into the regular french toast batter adds a bit of extra moisture without making things mushy, and it adds a little extra flavor that goes delightfully with French Toast and a touch of cinnamon.
Ingredients for Pumpkin French Toast:
Pumpkin French Toast is pretty much everything you’re used to grabbing for French Toast, along with a little pumpkin!
- Gluten-Free Bread: I used homemade paleo sandwich bread, but you can use any bread that fits your dietary needs!
- Coconut Milk: or your milk of choice
- Eggs: I love using pastured eggs for the extra health benefits.
- Pumpkin Puree: use pure canned pumpkin and not pie filling
- Vanilla: don’t ever skip vanilla! It adds the perfect subtle flavor boost that heightens the pumpkin taste.
- Cinnamon: the perfect complement to the pumpkin!
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is my favorite oil for cooking because it doesn’t break down under high heat, which means it doesn’t turn into a toxic oil under high heat. Alternatively, I would use butter or ghee.
What bread to use for Pumpkin French Toast
The short answer is….anything! I used homemade paleo sandwich bread, but you can use storebought grain or gluten-free bread, or even regular bread for this pumpkin french toast. If you want to get extra fancy you can even use pumpkin bread! The possibilities are endless, and all lead to a delicious plate of homemade french toast.
How to make the best Gluten-Free Pumpkin French Toast
- Give your bread a few minutes to soak. I used to make the mistake of not letting my bread soak long enough and it lead to a dry and lackluster French Toast.
- Use a well-greased skillet with either coconut oil or butter.
- Don’t turn the heat up too high. French Toast can burn easily if you’re not careful.
Other fall Paleo brunch recipes:
Gluten Free Pumpkin French Toast
Cinnamony, sweet slices of Gluten Free Pumpkin French Toast make the most delicious fall weekend brunch that is also paleo and dairy free!
- 8 slices paleo or gluten free bread
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Coconut oil for frying
- Maple syrup and whipped cream for serving
Crack eggs into a wide bowl and whisk thoroughly with pumpkin, milk and cinnamon.
Place bread in the bowl and coat thoroughly in the egg mixture. Allow to soak for 15 minutes so the bread slices thoroughly absorb the liquid.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and grease with coconut oil. Place two to three slices of bread in the skillet at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes in each side, or until thoroughly cooked.
Repeat until all of the bread is cooked, adding more coconut oil to the skillet as needed.
Too with coconut whipped cream and maple syrup!